back to top

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Online Dating Scams! Will I be the next victim?

Link to us: http://snipr.com/ua13z

Photobucket
Most of the things or we can say all things are created for a good purpose. However, things usually turn out to be detrimental as people begin to abuse them. For examples, weapons are made for the purpose of national and self-defense, yet, people use it to rob, murder innocents and do all sort of crimes. Likewise, online dating originally is to help singles to find their life partner. Again, scammers abuse it to swindle and take granted from the people that genuinely seek for life partner through Internet. There are thousands of people out there had fallen into the traps of those wicked online dating scammers and lost faith to online dating with a broken heart. So, will you be the next victim? Don’t worry! In this post we are going to tell you about more on online dating scams at the same time provide you useful tips to be a smart online dater. Well, you might think that you will never go for online dating, hence, what is the point of you reading this post? Yes, you are right. Nevertheless, you might not know the people around you, your friends or family might have chances to be the potential victim. So, read it as added information for you, your friends and family.

How do we know and identify a dating scam? The answer lies in the profile and message.

1. Attractive and appealing profile picture
Scammer whom with a female identity often uses a sexy and adorable picture as their profile picture, whereas, scammer who with a male identity uses good looking and macho picture as their profile picture to lure their ‘preys’. All these photos most likely are photos stolen from the websites, hence, the person in the picture also become the online scam victim too.
So, never judge a book by its cover. Don’t believe anyone hastily regarding their appearance on the profile.


2. The profile descriptions often are generalized
Scammers often describe themselves in general terms like easygoing, kind, loyal, truthful, sincere, loving, understanding, and caring, elegant, sociable, sensitive, gentle, cheerful, optimistic, romantic, warm, cuddly, hard-working, goal orientated, ambitious... You might find more than ten of these positive adjectives in their profile description. Isn’t that ridiculous?

Examples of online dating scam profile description:
“I am an open, loving, and romantic woman who enjoys reading, listening to music, and watching films. I love to cook, especially for others. I have a sense of humor which is a little left of center. I 'll admit that I have a tiny bit of baggage, but it's more carry-on than check-in. I am definitely ready to meet Him, the man I am meant to grow old with. I am sure I will definitely be a faithful and understanding wife...”

Reference: Online Dating Secret Friends, Dating Online Scams Seeking Vulnerable Victims [Online] Retrieved on 3rd February 2010
URL:http://www.onlinedatingsecretfriends.com/dating_online_scams.html

3. E-mail that appeals for money assistance
After a period of time, where trust romance and desire is established, the scammer will try to get the victim’s empathy and ask for money by claiming that they are in trouble and need money urgently. Obviously, this is a scam! Remember, do not simply give your money away.

Example of dating scam message:
‘’I heard a friend of my who lives in Nigeria she has an accident and she was in the hospital I have to move there to see her health when I arrive there I lost the hospital address and it night and I can't get flight at night cause it too dangerous for me to go home at nigth I have to log in a hotel for me to go the next day in the midnight some mens came so they attack me and stole all my money goods I brought In the hotel and they ran away but they did not hurt me i try to explain things to the hotel…so they said all they need is there money so right now am stucked in a hotel in Nigeria and all I now to come back home is to pay the hotel bill and i will be glad if you can.’’

Reference: Online Dating Secret Friends, Dating Online Scams Seeking Vulnerable Victims [Online] Retrieved on 3rd February 2010
URL:http://www.onlinedatingsecretfriends.com/dating_online_scams.html


4. English grammar and spelling in the message
By checking on the grammar and spelling in the message, you can easily identify if the person you are chatting with is an online dating scammer, whereby they claim that they have a good education background such as a Master degree holder. (Refer to the highlighted words in the example of dating scam message above)

Reference: Disabled world official website, Online Dating Scams

1 comment:

  1. As long as you're aware of the existence of dating and internet scams, you are immune to romance scam. However, nothing in the world can protect you from some types of commerce scam. In dating however, I assume you're safe.

    ReplyDelete